Monday, January 24, 2011

Choosing your criteria for success

During our briefings, the judge at the trial this weekend reminded us that there is more than one criteria for success; a qualifying score, which can be rather hard to come by, is just one measure.

About 16 months ago, I came to the same conclusion, and have been instead trying to focus on what went right, and what can I learn from what went wrong.

This last weekend Django and Angela, Maebe and me had four runs over two days.  The qualifying score measure of success of two Q’s between us does not tell the whole story.

For Django, there was the story of his fastest most inspired runs; some of Angela’s best handling, recovery from situations that on other weekend became off-courses.

P1020780

For Maebe, there were near perfect runs, tight handling, conversation stopping performances, and me remembering to really play with my dog immediately after each run, every single time, even when people came up afterwards to talk to me.

IMG0007

I also got to test out a new project of mine – an agility performance tracking sheet that allows you to measure your level of success an more than a dozen different areas; it allows you to celebrate your strengths; identify areas for improvement; and preserve the memory of your run. You can access a copy of it here or click on the image below. Please let me know what you think of it via comments, and if you want to share it with others, please send them the link to this post so I can track how often it’s being accessed.

image

1 comment:

  1. But for the record, Django and I had TWO Q's this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete